Don't wait to prepare for a storm to roll through
There's an old adage: "If you don't like the weather in Chicago, wait a few minutes!"
In this area, the weather can change very quickly. From sunny and warm, to heavy storms and the wind coming off the lake to turn everything downright cold. It doesn't give you much time to prepare.
If you knew how bad the storm is, you could prepare accordingly. But we don't know, at least not until it's too late.
So, our advise to you is this: Take time now to get ready for the next big storm. And it's not IF the next storm will hit, it's WHEN!
- Check gutters and downspouts. Make sure they are attached properly and clear of debris.
- While you are outside, do a quick check of the roof. Scan to see if there are any missing or loose shingles.
- Recently, the storms have been accompanied by excessive rain rates, overwhelming sump pumps. Are there any contents (furniture, boxes, etc) that would be permanently damaged by sewage water?
- If you have an unfinished basement? Make sure that the drain is free from clutter, so if any water does intrude, it can recede as quickly as possible.
- Ensure that you have our emergency number plugged into your mobile device now: 708-430-3600. After a major storm, sometimes we get a flood (pardon the pun) of phone calls, requesting service. The sooner you call, the quicker we can get the process moving.