SERVPRO of Bedford Park/Burbank traveled to Massachusetts!
Snow Storm in the Northeast area!
It wasn’t a good start of the year for many Massachusetts residents, the beginning of January of 2018 we were asked to travel to the state of MA as a lot of people had water damage due to broken pipes and Ice Daming damage in their homes due to freezing temperatures.
Some customers had no electricity or heat available, these conditions made the restoration process a little difficult, but as soon as these issues were resolved, we immediately started the demolition/drying process.
Unfortunately, after we left town a couple more snow storms hit the northeast area.
SERVPRO of Bedford Park/Bubank has the capability to travel to any part of the country, thankfully we count with professional employees and specialized equipment to assist to any size disaster in the United States
It's grilling season again!
Keep the fires INSIDE the grill!
If you’re anything like me, you LOVE BBQ grilling. There’s nothing as delicious as food that has been prepared on an outdoor grill.
As you get your grill and apron ready for another mouth-watering season, please remember these safety tips:
- Do NOT use an outdoor grill indoors. That includes the basement, garage, or any structure that can catch fire.
- Never leave your grill unattended. Accidents, such as pets or a gust of wind can cause the grill to tip over, and ignite nearby items on fire. Also, keep young children away from grills.
- Clean your grill when an accumulation of grease appears. Grease fires start quickly, and can get out of hand just as quickly.
- If you are using charcoal, ensure that every coal is completely out before attempting to remove it from the grill.
- If you are using propane, make sure all fittings are secure before lighting the grill.
- Always have a fire extinguisher nearby, in case fire spreads outside of the grill.
- Place the grill where the smoke will not enter an open door or window. Smoke from a grill can stick to door frames, walls, etc, and then catch other pollutants.
Have a safe grilling season, from your friends at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank!
Mold in the attic
The attic is one place where mold can grow, but how often do you get up there?
Sometime during the winter, you had a roof leak. Perhaps it’s because of missing shingles, or perhaps you had some ice damming. Either way, water invaded your attic. And since you were unaware of its presence, it was left to dry on its own. But before it could dry, mold started to grow.
You had the windows and doors open for a couple of really nice Spring days, and then closed everything up when the rains came. Once everything was closed up, you noticed a slight musty smell in the upstairs bedroom and bath. Upon investigation, you found the culprit; mold in the attic.
The roofer came in and repaired the roof. The roofers did a great job repairing/replacing only what was needed. You’re convinced the roof will not leak again.
A couple of months later, that moldy, musty smell returned, especially after another rainstorm. You check the attic area, and cannot see any obvious wet spots. But the smell is worse there.
Even though you spent a great deal of money on the roof, you failed to get rid of the mold in the attic. In essence, you treated the symptom and not the disease.
That musty smell means you have active mold, mold that at this minute is eating drywall, insulation, paper, cardboard, anything and everything it can. You need to call in the mold experts.
SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank has the experience and expertise dealing with mold. We know what can be treated and what needs to be removed. We even have treatments that can help prevent mold from occurring again.
If you suspect mold has infiltrated your home, call us at 708-430-3600 and set up a no-obligation inspection. You’ll be glad you did!
Preventing mold in storage areas
Many times there's more mold hidden behind the walls than hat you can see.
It’s time to put away the winter clothes and get out the summer gear, and get ready for some fun in the sun! But, the storage area you put the summer clothes in now has a musty odor, and you can see some mold staining on a few of the clothes.
But, don’t make the same mistake this season, pack the winter clothes away carefully and perhaps avoid a repeat in the fall. Here are some tips:
Don’t pack wet/damp clothes or items away. Anything damp will not dry quickly in the confined space of a closet, attic, crawl space, or any storage area. Ensure that everything to be packed away is completely dry.
Don’t pack items too tightly. Air currents help prevent mold from finding a cool, damp place to hide, and then colonize. Try to leave space in between hangers in a closet, and don’t pack plastic tubs full to near overflowing.
Keep closet/storage areas doors open (when possible). Just like above, you need air to circulate as much as possible. So, if you have the doors and windows open on a nice, Spring day, also open your closet doors and dresser drawers, to let the air circulate in those areas as well.
If you see mold, or smell a musty odor, do NOT ignore it. Mold will not simply go away; it will go dormant until another shot of moisture triggers it again. Mold can be dormant for many years.
If you think you may have a mold situation, call the experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank. We can come out and inspect the areas, and, if you do have mold, give you options on how to combat it.
Ways water can get into your home
Just a few examples of how water can cause damages in your home
Water can get into your home many ways, and not just through the pipes. Just a few examples of ways water can cause damages:
- Roof leak. Well-worn or missing shingles can allow water to infiltrate the roofing materials, and thereby can damage your upper level or attic.
- Sewage back-up. Raw sewage can back up through the drains and/or toilets in your home, causing damage, not to mention a terrible odor.
- Water can find even the smallest cracks in your foundation and find its way inside your home.
- Bathtub or sink overflows. Although unintentional, filling up a bathtub or sink beyond its capacity can also cause damages to your home.
- Pipe breaks. Age and everyday wear and tear will cause pipes to have a catastrophic break, leaking or spraying water that many times will go unnoticed for several days.
- Little or missing insulation in an outside wall sometimes will cause condensation to develop, especially in the Spring and Autumn seasons.
If you have suffered a water damage to your home, call the experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank 708-430-3600. We have the proper moisture detection and drying equipment to make it "Like it never even happened.”
The science of drying
Water invaded your castle? Call the experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank
There is a science to drying structure, called Psychrometrics. In a nutshell, it means that there are several factors to take into account when determining how to dry a structure, and just how much equipment would be needed to complete the process.
Some of the factors are:
- Amount of water needing to be extracted.
- In the affected area, is there an inch of water that needs to be removed, or several feet?
- Air temperature.
- Warm air does two things: it can hold more moisture than cool air, and it also helps the evaporation process. Both are essential in getting the moisture out of structure and into the air.
- Relative humidity.
- Outdoor relative humidity can have an adverse effect on the humidity inside the home.
- Air movement.
- Air movement aids the drying process, and gets the moisture up and into the air.
- Now that the moisture is in the air, dehumidifiers can collect that moisture and dispose of it properly.
- Area size.
- The size of the area that needs to be dried can vary the strategy. It’s much easier to dry a closet than it is to dry a gymnasium.
- Material type.
- Some things dry very quickly, while others cannot. Where drywall takes up to a couple of days to dry, a plastic tote will not. And what about insulation?
SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank are experts in not only drying out structure, but also help prevent mold from becoming an issue.
So, if you have suffered a water damage, fret not! Call the experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank at 708-430-3600. We can come out and determine the best way to dry the damaged areas in your home.
Ice damming can lead to more damages
A pretty scene, but things could be ugly inside your roof.
Icicles hanging from your roof and gutters can be pretty, and the kids love playing with them. But, seeing icicles hanging from a roof can be a symptom of a much more serious issue.
When your gutters get full of snow and ice, water and ice accumulates on your roof. The water can work its way back up the roof and under the shingles on your roof, thereby causing water to drip into your attic or any room near the dam. Water can migrate several feet from the actual intrusion of the roofing shingles.
If you happen to see wet spots in your ceiling close to an outside wall, its possible you have water inside dripping from your roof. If you see water drops falling from inside your house, then it's conformed you have water intrusion!
Call the experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park / Burbank. We can check for water migration using a thermal imaging camera, so we won't have to make any inspection holes or remove any trim. Then, we can dry the structure, and spray an antimicrobial to help prevent mold.
Having an air test to check mold levels
Collecting an air sample in a room formerly affected by mold.
Sometimes in mold remediation, protocol calls for an air test after the work has been completed, to ensure mold levels inside the home or business closely match the levels outside. If levels inside the home or business are higher than those outside, the remediation is not complete.
SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank has an independent company come in and perform the air test. The tech will collect an air sample outside the structure, and usually do 2 inside. The samples are then sent to a lab. Results are generally known in a couple of days.
The tech also uses a thermal imaging camera inside the structure, to ensure all moisture has been mitigated as well I the affected areas.
Making sure the job is done, and done well, is all part of the SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank strategy! Results you can count on!
If you think you have mold issues in your home or business, call the experts at SERVPRO. 708-430-3600.
Packing out when local realtor suffers water damages
Files from a local realtor stored securely at SERVPRO.
When a local realtor had a couple of pipes burst during a cold snap, SERVPRO was there to not only extract the water, but dry the structure as well. But, what about the contents?
Like most businesses, this realtor had lots of paper files stored in filing cabinets. Most stayed dry, away from the water spraying throughout the office, but some files did get wet/moist, luckily, none too serious.
As the structure was drying, SERVPRO packed out the files, putting them in boxes for easy storage and labeled so a single file would be easy to find. These files are shown stored in our secure warehouse until the realtor's office is ready to be put back together again. If the realtor suddenly needs a particular file, we can find the boxes that came from that person's office, which cabinet drawer it came from, and presto!
SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank. Ready to help your commercial or residential loss 24/7/365.
Graffiti removal at a Burbank school
Removing graffiti from a Burbank school.
Some kids don't want to be at school; as soon as the bell rings, they're gone! But, there are some kids who don't mind being at school, and unfortunately it isn't for studying purposes.
Some kids entered school grounds after hours and spray painted some graffiti on one of the walls. The school knew just what to do, because earlier in the year they initiated an Emergency Ready Program, a FREE service offered to all commercial clients by SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank. By checking under the category: Graffiti Removal, they saw that we can handle it.
The same morning of the call, we were on site and beginning the restoration process. And, in no time at all, the job was complete, without any disruption to the school day!
SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank is aware that any commercial client, a school, church, retail or service shop, cannot be shut down unless it was absolutely necessary. We make every attempt to do our work without hindering the regular work flow at your place of business.
If you would like more information on the Emergency Ready Program, http://www.SERVPRObedfordparkburbank.com/blog/commercial#34308
If you are a residential or commercial client, and need clean up, restoration, or mitigation services performed, give SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank a call at 708-430-3600 any time 24/7/365.