Heavy rains cause water damages inside your home
Not sure if the umbrellas are keeping these people dry.
There’s an old adage: ‘Be careful what you wish for’.
We are currently in the midst of a drought. Some areas are worse off than others. But generally we do need the rain.
Storms today can be fast and furious. They drop enormous amounts of rain in a relative short period of time. Last month, storms that rolled through the area dropped more than an inch of rain in less than 15 minutes. And recently, in China, they experienced 18 inches of rain in just 24 hours.
In either case, the rain rate was too much for sewer systems and your sump pumps to keep up. And, that water has to go somewhere. It usually ends up in the lower levels of buildings.
Take the time now to check in and around your home for areas prone to flooding. Should I leave that cardboard box full of the family photo albums on the floor, or should I store it in a safer place? That wash machine is very close to that drain. Should I be safe and put it up on bricks?
Taking a few minutes now could save you a lot of aggravation (and money) later.
If you do suffer from water damages inside your home, call the water experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank. We have the proper equipment and protocols to get any size job done right!
Preparing a home inventory file
Storms ripped through the area, damaging furniture and contents from inside the house.
Imagine if a storm severely damaged your home. Your insurance company will need a complete list of items lost; furniture, collectibles, big ticket items, etc. With all the stress you’re going through, will you be able to remember everything? That being said, have you prepared a home inventory?
Here’s a way to protect yourself now and make the claims experience easier once the storm has passed:
- Take pictures. Pictures of furniture and big ticket items will help you identify what and where these items were. Also, take pictures of receipts, especially the more expensive pieces if you have them (these receipts may be lost in the storm as well).
- Video each room, with running commentary on when you acquired the item, what room it was located in, and the approximate cost. Stand in a corner of the room, pan left to right. Then move to the opposite corner, and pan left to right again. Video each room, including the garage!
- Create an electronic copy. Save your pictures and videos to a disc, thumb drive, or similar, and keep a copy offsite. You can also email the files to yourself (it will time stamp when you performed the inventory, so you can update it regularly).
Need help cleaning up after the storm? Leave that to the experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank. We’ve cleaned up after hurricanes, tornadoes, nor’easters, and heavy thunderstorms. Call 708-430-3600 today.
Area Fireworks Displays
Fireworks displays throughout the region. You can view multiple displays that weekend.
The following is a brief list of fireworks displays around the region, but check for any last minute changes.
- Chicago 7/4 Dusk Navy Pier
- Aurora 7/2 9:30 RiverEdge Park
- Barrington 7/2 Dusk Metra Station
- Bolingbrook 7/4 9:15 Bolingbrook Golf Club
- Bridgeview 7/3 9:15 Commissioners Park
- Burr Ridge 7/3 9:30 Walker Park
- Downers Grove 7/4 9:30 75th St/Lemont Rd
- Highland Park 7/4 8:00 Rec Center (Virtual)
- LaGrange 7/2 9:30 Waiola Park
- Lake Forest 7/4 9:30 Deerpath Community Pk
- Libertyville 7/3 + 7/4 Dusk Butler Lake Park
- Lisle 7/3 Dusk Lisle Community Park
- Naperville 7/4 9:30 Frontier Sports Complex
- New Lenox 7/4 9:15 New Lenox Commons
- Orland Park 7/4 9:30 Centennial Park
- Palos Heights 7/3 9:30 Memorial Park
- Romeoville 7/3 Dusk Lukancic, Volunteer, and Discovery Parks
- Round Lake 7/4 Dusk Round Lake Park District
- Schaumburg 7/4 After Boomers baseball game
- St Charles 7/4 Dusk Pottawatomie Park
- Tinley Park 7/4 9:30 McCarthy Park
- Waukegan 7/4 9:00 Waukegan Harbor
- Westmont 7/4 9:30 Ty Warner Park
Have a safe and joyous 4th!!
How SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank handles commercial damages
Any size commercial job, SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank is ready for the call!
The Chicago area has plenty of commercial properties, ranging from mom-and-pop stores to large corporate facilities. SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank is ready to handle any size job at any commercial property.
A small fire in a lunchroom? We can handle it. A large warehouse fire that also affected offices in the main building? We can handle that too, because we are part of the SERVPRO network, whereby if we need additional crews, we can get as many trained personnel as we need from surrounding SERVPROs in the area.
SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank also has unique equipment to speed up the restoration process, so your business can return to normal as quickly as possible. Plus, we can work within your schedule.
Just some of the items we have:
- Truck-mounted and portable extraction equipment – to quickly remove excess water.
- Thermal cameras – to find hidden moisture in walls, ceilings, or floors.
- Metering equipment – used in conjunction with the thermal camera, to find moisture’s migration.
- Air movers (fans) – in different sizes, to help evaporate moisture quickly.
- Commercial grade dehumidifiers – to extract moisture from the air, thereby drying structure faster.
- Air scrubbers – to pull particulates from the air, e.g.: mold spores, odors, dust, etc.
- Foggers – to help neutralize and eliminate odors.
- Static sprayers – to spray disinfectant and kill bacteria.
- Hardwood floor drying mats – to dry and save hardwood floors.
- Specially treated sponges – to remove smoke and soot from walls, furniture.
- Portable generators – in case you have no power.
- Additional dumpsters can be arranged if there is a lot of demolition work required.
- A FREE program called the ERP, or Emergency Ready Profile – a totally free app for your mobile device, where it lists important numbers and protocols after a loss.
Property managers – you need to load this number into your phone now: 708-430-3600. SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank is the company you can trust when you have a commercial loss!
Storm related damages handled by SERVPRO
Has weather damaged your home? Call the experts at SERVPRO!
Just about every part of the country is susceptible to weather-related disasters. Some areas are hit by blizzards, some by hurricanes. Others have excessive cold, and of course some have extreme heat. Forest fires target certain areas, while other areas have to dodge tornadoes. Don’t forget persistent heavy rains, or high sustained winds.
With the exception to hurricanes and forest fires, Chicago can be hit by all the other weather phenomenon. Our town has experienced polar vortices, heat waves, flooding rains, lightning, ice storms, and much more.
If your home or business has been hit with a weather-related disaster, call the cleanup experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank at 708-430-3600. We have trained personnel, the proper equipment and protocols to get any size job done quickly and efficiently. And, we are available 24/7/365, so no matter what day or time it may be, we are ready to answer the call.
Most insurance companies trust SERVPRO enough to place us on their “Preferred Vendor” list, a ranking we don’t take lightly. So, you can trust SERVPRO to work with your insurance carrier from start to finish, ensuring you get the best treatment possible. Don’t have that specific coverage? No problem! We can work within your budget to get the job done right.
So, don’t delay and call today!
Fire and smoke damaged warehouse
Smoke and soot has damaged this warehouse ceiling. Soot particles can disrupt the machinery below if not cleaned properly.
When a local warehouse had a piece of machinery catch on fire, it caused some fire damage, but it sent smoke and soot throughout the building, including the offices, hallways, lunchroom, etc.
Smoke and soot particles stained the walls, ceilings, and some of the equipment inside that facility. SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank was called.
When we arrived, we walked through with the property manager, discussing what areas were the highest priorities, which area(s) could wait until later, and what damaged structure can be cleaned instead of being replaced. Cleaning materials is more cost effective, and less disruptive, than replacing said items.
Part of the discussion also included that the cleaning had to be done second shift (from 4:00 pm to midnight). Working within those parameters isn't a problem for SERVPRO.
Covering machines in the area where we were going to be cleaning was the first item on our list each day. We couldn't allow dust, smoke, or soot to cause secondary damage to operating machines while we cleaned. And before we left for the night, we had to ensure that all debris was picked up and disposed of properly, again to prevent secondary damages throughout the warehouse.
Did you suffer smoke damage to your home or business? Call the fire clean up experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank at 708-430-3600.
We're ready for your call!
We are staged, and awaiting your phone call!
Unless you have a crystal ball, you can’t possibly know exactly when you’re going to suffer from a fire, or a pipe break, or a flood. These things happen at random, many times in the middle of the night, on the weekend, holidays, or just before the start of the big game. Or while you’re gone for the day at work.
Don’t fret! Here at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank, we are already prepared for your phone call. We have equipment staged in one of our work vehicles. Our crews are at the ready, capable of mobilizing at a moment’s notice. And, you’ll never hear an answering machine; we have live operators 24/7/365.
We are trained to handle the mold you discovered in your crawl space. We know how to get the smoke smell out after your candle fire. We are prepared to extract the standing sewage water, and know what water damaged items can be saved and those that cannot.
We have cleaned up a home after it was discovered that the homeowner was a hoarder. We’ve experienced the clean up after a dead body was found. We have also disinfected homes and businesses from COVID.
That is why you need to program your phone with our number: 708-430-3600. We have the expertise to handle any situation in a clear and concise manner. We’re prepared to handle your disaster, even if you’re not!
Preventing mold growth in your Chicago home
Mold can grow quickly and get out of hand in a hurry if not mitigated properly.
Stealing one of my favorite lines from "Carnac the Magnificent" from the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson: Q: How to prevent shark bites? A: Never leave Omaha.
The only true way you can prevent mold from growing inside your home is to live in a kiln-dried structure, or have everything made out of glass. Other than that, you risk having mold growth.
But, there are ways you can keep that risk low:
- Dry wet areas quickly. Organic material (drywall, paper, cardboard, wood) that becomes wet, can eventually harbor mold unless it is dried quickly and thoroughly.
- Make sure you have adequate ventilation. If the weather outdoors is pleasant, open doors and windows to allow trapped inside air to escape, to be replaced by the outside air. Open inside doors, closets, and drawers to encourage air transferring from room to room.
- Monitor indoor humidity. In winter, some people run humidifiers to add moisture into a room (heating a room causes the air to dry). If there is condensation on the windows, there is too much humidity already. Also, ensure that the exhaust fan is running in the bathroom when taking showers.
- Check outside influences. Make sure that the roof is in good order. Gutters and downspouts are not clogged or broken, where water can emerge in unintended areas. Also, check for low spots near the foundation where water can accumulate; make sure the grade runs AWAY from the house.
If you suspect mold in your home, call the mitigation experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank at 708-430-3600.
After the fire is out
Many things to consider here: water damage, fire and smoke damage, structural integrity loss, and which contents to save or discard.
Your home or business suffered a fire loss. The fire is out. Everyone has been accounted for (and hopefully safe). The fire department has left.
You stand there, looking at the mess that is left. Walls and ceilings have been damaged. Water from the firefighting efforts soak many areas, and pool in the lower reaches of the building. Soot is everywhere. Contents have been strewn all over.
First and foremost, the water has to be extracted, and all wet items that cannot be saved must be removed and disposed, otherwise mold may be the end result. In fact, all items that have been permanently damaged, or damaged to a point where repairing it isn't feasible, must be discarded as well. This includes contents, structure, and personal items.
What is left is the physical cleanup of the soot. Simply using your favorite household cleaner will not work, especially on painted surfaces such as drywall. In many cases, the cleaner will just make matters worse, setting the stain to the extent where that wall cannot be cleaned anymore, and will have to be painted.
SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank are experts in cleaning methods on fires. We have the proper protocols and equipment to rid your property of all that nasty soot mess, and return it back to preloss (or better) condition.
Have a fire at your property? Call the cleaning experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank at 708-430-3600 right away!
The water you don't see can cause the most damage
Sure, you can see the iceberg. But how much is hidden from view? Water damages can be similar.
Water. Like most things, too much of a good thing can be bad.
We need water for our lawns and plants to grow, but if we get too much, flooding. And that's just the water you CAN see.
It rains for days in a row, and the ground is so saturated, it can't hold any more water. It has to go somewhere. Somehow, some way, it works inside your building and floods your lower level.
You can see the large puddle on the floor, but how much is hidden in the walls? Or floors? Or contents?
If you have carpets, you probably have a pad underneath. That pad acts like a sponge, collecting and holding gallons of water until, after enough time has passed, it has a chance to dry on its own. But, that moisture may have made its way into the walls and/or ceiling, so there's still a lot of moisture to contend with.
Drywall walls and ceilings are very similar; holding onto moisture for long periods of time until nature has enough time to equalize the moisture content in the air and structure. By then, mold may have already started.
SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank has meters and cameras that can detect even the slightest bit of moisture. It can point out where that moisture has travelled, whether its into another room or a previously thought of unaffected wall.
Don't take chances. Call the water damage experts at SERVPRO Bedford Park/Burbank. 708-430-3600.